Warranties in the window business have changed drastically over th years, especialy in vinyl windows. Whereas most wood windows have time-specific warranties, vinyl has got to the "lifetime" warranties. The problem is trying to determine what "lifetime" really means and what it covers.
If asked what they felt a warranty should cover, most poeople would say something like, "If it breaks, fix it." Unfortunately, most lifetime warranties doen't do anthing of that sort. So, how do you spot a good warranty compared to a bad one?
Here are some things to watch for:
- The term "limited" - If it says limited, it is. Read the warranty and find out what the limitations are.
- Is labor covered? - A large number of manufacturer's warranties do not cover the labor to install the part. How infuriating to have to pay to have someone install what was someone else's blunder! (Don't be swayed by a dealer or contractor that assures you they will provide the labor for free - this only helps if they stay in business)
- Is it a manufacturer's warranty? If it is, the chances are very great that nothing the contractor does will be covered. The window contractor or dealer may offer you an additional warranty, but remember that a warranty is only good if the company is still in business.
- Prorated - Many warranteis are prorated so that you pay for an increase larger portion of the repair as time goes on.
- Look at what they cover - Often, a warranty will spell out the specific things it will cover, and many tmies they aren't things that will ever happen. For instance, many vinyl warranties cover corrosion. When did you ever see vinyl corrode? In addition, they specifically exclude anything they don't specify!
One of the main reasons we choose Milgard windows is the FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY they offer. It covers parts, labor, glass breakage (on most products) and they back it with a local service department. Whether you call Denver Window & Door or Milgard directly, you will get the same high quality service that you deserve!
Click here to schedule your no-pressure, no-obligation in-home consultation today!